Trying to decide on a topic is one of the most common frustration points for students. Here are a few tips to help you find the topic that’s right for you.
Tip 1 – Interest
- Pick a topic that is interesting to you, something you want to know about it.
- If you do not care about your topic, you will not care about researching it and your paper will reflect that.
Tip 2 – Scholarly
- Is your topic suitable for a college-level paper?
- Does it fulfill the objectives of the assignment?
- While you want your paper to be interesting, you also need it to be academic.
Tip 3 – Depth
- If your topic is too broad for the length of your paper, you’ll only scratch the surface.
- If it is too narrow, you’ll never have enough information to fill your pages.
Tip 4 – Resources
- Can you find resources on your topic?
- Scholarly journal articles, books, eBooks and websites with verifiable information are all good places for research.
- Use our research guides to help you find resources for your project.
Tip 5 – Research
- Start thinking about the ways you’ll look for your research.
- Besides the main words in your title, try to think of other keywords, or similar words, that might help you in your searching.